Posted Tuesday July 19th 2022
The order in which teams select players is based on the reverse order of the final 2021 MLB season standings.Draft Order
- The Baltimore Orioles, who had the worst record of the 2021 season, selected Jackson Holliday with the first overall pick in the draft.
- The New York Mets received the 11th pick as compensation for failing to sign Kumar Rocker.
- The Boston Red Sox received the 41st pick as compensation for failing to sign Jud Fabian.
- As a result of reaching the third surcharge tier of the competitive balance tax threshold in 2021, the Los Angeles Dodgers' top pick was moved down 10 slots.
The CBAFuture Changes:
In March 2022 the MLB and the Major League Baseball Players Association came to an agreement on a new collective bargaining agreement.
- The new CBA will institute a draft lottery beginning with the 2023 MLB draft, with the first six picks being sorted via a lottery for the 18 teams that do not qualify for the postseason.There will be limitations on teams participating in the lottery multiple years in a row, with separate limitations for revenue-sharing recipients and revenue-sharing payers.
- The draft will permanently switch to 20 rounds, with an annual pre-draft combine, and guarantees to draftees of 75% of their slot value provided that they submit to pre-draft physicals.
- A draft-and-follow option will be re-introduced for players drafted after the 10th round who do not sign before the signing deadline.