Electric Clock Made 1905
One of the first. Wedding Present for Edward and Mamie Watry. Donated to Western Trails Museum ..
Early Electric Clock
The original model of this clock was designed by Mr. Ernest E Yaxley, President and chief engineer of the Monarch Telephone Company of Chicago, Illinois in the year 1902.
It was considered to be the first electric clock to give continuous, uninterupted service. Other clocks were subject to frequent stoppages owing to the accumulation of carbon smoot on the electrical contacts.
Mr. Yaxley, by his knowledge of electricity overcame this , thus preventing the formation of smoot and insuring the continued functioning of the clock. I winds once a minute.
This clock is a Master Clock to be installed in a Central Telephone Office and designed to control secondary clocks located in various business establishments.
It contains a 60 beat movement and will keep time to within a few seconds variation per year made possible by the unique construction of its pendulum.
The pendulum stick is made of California Red Wood because of its low contraction and expansion factor.
The pendulum weight is of the floating type (capable of moving up or down in accordance with temperature changes). The weight consists of four zinc rods stationary at the base but free at the top to move up or down as they expand or contract thus retaining the center of gravity and compensating for variations occurring in the length of the stick.
The graduated nut at the base permits adjustments to within one thousandth of an inch. The small brass cup at the base is for adding or subtraction small iron discs to correct any fractional seconds variations gradually.
In 1905 this particular clock was by Mr. Juliua O Rubacker superintendent of the Monarch Telephone Company presented to Mr. Edward O Watry the shop foreman as a wedding present and has been in continual operation since then without repair other than cleaning and oiling.
It is probably one of the few remaining of its type that is still operating. Mr Watry of Huntington Beach, California presented this clock to the Marion A Speer, Western Museum Collection at Knott's Berry Farm in October 1957.