Coast Salish Totem Pole
This Coast Salish Totem pole is carved from yellow cedar. The four figures represent the Killer Whale Clan of the Timothy family who are canoepranuers. From top to bottom:
- Eagle Represents vision.
- Killer Whale Represents power and wisdom.
- The Human Represents the People
- Beaver Taught the People engineering skills to build their dwellings which are called longhouses.
The chosen colors of the pole are also significant. There are four colors to honor the four seasons and the four directions:
- Black Represents the sea.
- Green Represents the forest.
- Red Represents the sun.
- Blue Represents the sky.
This totem pole was carved by Coast Salish Artist Jackie Timothy in the spring of 1992